Wednesday

The big diaper post

Long before Ellis Rose arrived, we knew we'd do cloth diapers.  We chose to do cloth diapers for many reasons, among them:

1.  It is cheaper in the long run
2.  It is better for the environment.
3.  It is easy.
4.  The diaper covers are just so darn cute (that may have not been on Adam's list of reasons but it should be.  I'll post of a picture of Ellis Rose in her diaper so you can be the judge)

So, we embarked on the sometimes overwhelming world of cloth diapering.  First of all, most of the cloth diapering websites use acronyms to describe their products.  So I had to wade through the CD's (cloth diapers), AIO (all-in-one's) and PF's (prefolds) for a while before I had a good idea of what we wanted.

We finally decided on one-size diapers because it just seemed easier than trying to figure out how many of each size to purchase.  We bought a mixture of BumGenius 3.0 and FuzziBunz diapers but decided to just start off with 12 total.  (Most websites recommend 24 if you want to do the laundry every 2 days).  I didn't want to go out and buy 24 diapers in case we didn't like them or in case our baby had an adverse reaction to them.

Then, my wonderful and glorious sister bought me a month with a local diaper service.  This was great because it would give us a chance to ease into cloth diapering while we were easing into caring for a newborn.  The cloth diaper service uses pre-folds and Bummi's covers.  I have to say, I liked this much better than I thought I would.  So so easy!

So now we have several pre-folds, 4 Bummi's covers and 12 BumGenius and FuzziBunz.  I think we'll hold off on purchasing any more for the time being because we seem to do be doing fine with this combination.  Of course, I haven't yet started washing them myself so I may realize I need many many more when I have a pile of dirty diapers to wash everyday.

If you are considering cloth diapering, I highly recommend the following websites.  Don't let the acronyms getcha down!


And if you live in the Little Rock area, check out Green Mommie Diaper Service

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Ramble Bramble. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net | Blogger Styles
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase